Sunday 20 September 2009

'You forget that we are in the native land of the hypocrite'

Listening to: Blood On My Hands - The Used, WUTS audio clips on amazon.com
Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray

I've just been inspired by Hannah to make a bucket list, since the one I have now only has two things on it. She wants to bite Mat Devine's hand before she dies, makes me look like I've got no imagination. Well, what do I want to do before I die? Skydive? Bungee jump? Psht, no. Seriously, everyone wants to do that and it's just so...common now. Okay I'll start with the obvious ones:

Go to Chicago for NHFXMAS
Go to Disney Land
Meet all of KH
Meet Mateo from Madina Lake (god knows that man's hard to find sometimes)

Live in another country
Get a KH tattoo

So far, so safe. Oh, I want rid of my Twilight series and dvd. I feel like I might die if I don't get rid of them soon, then what would be the point in that? SMeyer would be responsible for my death, something I. DO. NOT. WANT.

Visit Oscar Wilde's grave.

(Only cause I'm (still) reading Dorian Gray...This would be my only reason for going to France. Fuck going to see a heap of metal in the middle of Paris that's not in the slightest bit romantic, let's go see where a writer was buried. Oh how writers are so unappreciated these days and look at what shit they're spitting out..*cough*SMEYER*cough*

Go to a Fashion Week
Get on a guest list
Buy a horse and call it Trace
Give Mat the smarties lid with a raccoon on it

Fashion week is kinda self-explanatory, since I want to be a designer some day... And a guest list just cause I want to feel (somewhat) important. The horse, well you just gotta go type "Trace Cyrus" into google image search and there's your answer. As for the smarties lid...nah, I'm not even gonna explain that one.



I finally went to see Dorian Gray yesterday and I have to say, it was quite amazing. Despite the fact that Ben Barnes' chin was distracting in some scenes I enjoyed the dark image the whole film had and I even enjoyed trying to contain my laughter at that party scene. Even though I haven't finished the book yet (goddamn), most of the film was right or thereabouts. Only complaint that I can think of: Sybil Vane and how she commits.




As far as I can remember, she and Dorian don't sleep together, she doesn't find out his name until they become engaged (Prince Charming, hello?), he sees her for the first time acting, not in a bar with Lord Henry and she is not ginger. No offense. And the way they make her commit suicide made me want to punch someone. In the film, the first role Dorian sees her play is Ophelia. Okay, that's wrong cause she's supposed to be Juliet. God. Anyway, she gives up her acting for him. He doesn't want that, tells her she's stupid and leaves her crying in a heap on the floor. Right. Dorian finds out she's dead cause of her brother turning up at his house. Wrong, he finds out in the paper after staying out all night. She commits by drowning herself. WRONG. She's supposed to poison herself with prussic acid in her dressing room at the theatre (darling). As if we wouldn't notice the Ophelia suicide thing when she played Ophelia the first time Dorian saw her. Oh! that's like, so clever! I would never have thought of that. *headdesk*



But I did like when they had the montage of 'sinful' things Dorian has done, shown as he is dressed in a white suit and sat having tea and scones with ladies. Very good Mise en Scene, Mr Director, very good. Having the white suit symbolizing his purity while the montage shows him wearing black. The jam on the scone and the blood was quite clever too. That's for realzies, no sarcasm. Oh and every time we had a scene where Dorian had disheveled hair, like that bit in the graveyard in the snow or every time he was drunk and or high. Mmm. Also, they do a good job with keeping the picture's true identity a secret right until the end. Ah, the wonder of suspense. Something SMeyer knows not of. One more thing: I felt like the script lagged a bit at the beginning if I'm honest.

Overall, it's a 4/5 for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment