Tuesday 29 December 2009

RIP Jimmy Sullivan

This has to be the worst news ever. One of my favorite drummers, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan passed away yesterday. He was only 28. At first I thought, 'No way, The Rev can't die' but after reading Avenged Sevenfold's blog it hit me. Actually, that's a lie, it hasn't hit me. I'm still in denial about it. I know he's passed away but part of me doesn't want to believe it. Of all the people that have passed away this year, Jimmy's death is the one that's affected me most. That may sound awful and very ignorant of me, but I'm pretty biased on this subject since A7X literally were my summer and autumn of 2007.

From late spring, possibly all the way through until 2008, my life seemed to revolve around this band. (It's so weird for me to think back on this) During the summer, all we would do was get together on a weekend, buy lots of crap food (chocolate, bread sticks, spreadable cheese and grapes) then go to someone's house and watch the 'All Excess' dvd and talk about our love for Jimmy and Brian. Thus, 'Gev Nights' were born. We even wrote fanfics on mibba because we loved them so much (oh how I miss those days...), granted, I never did finish any of mine. Still to this very day. As sad as this sounds, we adapted our favorite members' - Jimmy and Brian - stage names to our own. And I've only just remembered that I was nicknamed The Reverend Tholomew Faye. Oh my...

Back on point, A7X are an extremely important part of my life. I don't listen to them as much as I did back in '07, in all honesty, today's the first time I've listened to them properly in...a year and a half. Wow. This feels so surreal. Back then I suppose I took him for granted, assumed he'd just always be there. Now...I don't even know what to think.
I'm devastated, crushed, on-the-verge-of-tears (not trying to be dramatic), heartbroken...so I can't begin to imagine how his family and the rest of A7X feel...

All my personal feelings/memories aside, Jimmy was an amazingly talented drummer, who was far too young to be taken from the world. A7X won't ever be the same without him. My thoughts are with his family and friends. I hope he finds a Stallion Duck in heaven to chase around and be forever in awe of.



RIP JIMMY <3

No comments:

Post a Comment